I typically am not a very crafty person. I wish I was, I pin stuff on Pinterest all the time (that I never actually get around to doing). But since last fall/winter, I have had a small collection of Bath and Body Works candles that I had burned as far as they would go, but they each had a decent amount of wax left in the bottom of the jar. After seeing pictures on how to get the most out of these leftovers (I don't remember where I saw it, probably on Pinterest...), I decided I would embark on a little candle project.
My boyfriend and I went to Joann's looking for a new jar to put the candle wax in, as well as candle wicks. Of course the jar was easy to find, but the store did not sell candle wicks on their own. I'll admit, I was a little discouraged and kind of gave up on the project. So my boyfriend basically took charge of finding some way to make it work. This tall skinny candle was just laying around my house, so he cut the wax off to get the wick.
We then placed one of my candles in a pot of boiling water (yes I know, the water had not begun to boil yet in this picture).
I had three candles that I was going to be combining into layers: Hot Buttered Rum, Pumpkin Cupcake and Marshmallow Fireside.
Here is the Mason jar that we bought at Joann's.
And here is how my boyfriend fashioned a wick. The wick cut out of the tall skinny candle was glued to some little nut or bolt that he found literally on the floor in my garage. But hey, it did the job!
We added glue to the bottom of the nut/bolt and then wrapped the wick around a pencil so that it would remain upright while the wax cooled. (this was after we already put the first layer in).
After we completely melted the first candle into a liquid, we pored it into the jar (the glass was extremely hot, oven mitts are needed) and then placed it in the fridge for maybe 15 minutes or so, until it was hardened. Then we repeated the steps with the next two layers and here's what we came up with...
Ta da! Now, we kind of underestimated the amount of wax we had in comparison to the size of the jar that we bought... it was not even half full. So I decided that I would save this candle, assuming that I will be purchasing some more fall candles this season (which will inevitably be left with some un-burn-able wax at the bottom) and I will add more layers to it!
Thanks for reading!